Subject: [Leica] 280mm F2.8 APO-TELYT-R
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:13:59 +0100

Bought the early version of the above lens recently along with an ex. demo
R7 body.
Although the lens will win no beauty competitions, optically it is sound.

However, inside the aluminium case there is a Leitz box containing what
looks like two 112mm fibre washers. What are they for? I did wonder whether
they are for filter gels cut to size and mounted between the lens and the
NDx1 filter that protects the front element?

Also, there are two lugs on the lens body above the aperture ring. I guess
they are for some kind of strap. If so, is it worth trying to track one
down? So far, I've only used the lens with a monopod.
N.B. the case also contained a handgrip that I don't think I would use. This
beast is too cumbersome to be handheld IMHO.

By the way, I nearly bought an R8 body instead but I couldn't get used to
the overall size and shape. The R7 seemed the way to go and still included
the passport. Essentially, I'm an M user and the R8 was just too big.
Paul Bolam