Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Phone Bills
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 20:43:25 -0300

Who uses a phone anymore?  I am on a cable modem ( actuall a cisco cable
router) that stays connected twenty-four hours a day.  I pay the equivalent
of $25 USD per month for it.  If you connect to a fast site, it is very
quick.  For example, retrieving the fifty or more lug emails usually takes
under ten seconds.  I am lucky that I live in Canada, the leader in the
telecommunications industry.  We had the phone company ADSL modems two or
three years ago and were the first city in North America to have them in
widespread use.  It must be all the modern Northern Telecom (a Canadian
Company) phones switches that have been installed in the past few years,
replacing older units.

Actually, what most people don't realize is that for Europeans, every call
is a toll call, even the one to their next door neighbor.  That is why we
get complaints about the amount of traffic on this list from Europeans.

Regards,

Robert