Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Phone Bills
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 06:29:08 +0200

Cable modems are actually also available over here, I have friends in Amsterdam
who use them, and a new phone company, Telenet Vlaanderen, has just made them
available in my town. Until now, however, it is true that all calls are metered
and charged, even local ones. But depending on country, the cost of LUG can be
really minimal. I pay 30 BEF (around $0.80) per hour to call the local ISP
access number. Downloading 50 LUG messages takes 10-20 seconds on my ISDN line,
so whether there are 50 or 100 messages has no measurable impact on my bank
account balance. It is the CONTENT of those messages that matters much more,
not to my wallet but to my enjoyment of this great resource.

Nathan

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Who uses a phone anymore?  I am on a cable modem ( actuall a cisco cable
> router) that stays connected twenty-four hours a day.  I pay the equivalent
> of $25 USD per month for it.  If you connect to a fast site, it is very
> quick.  For example, retrieving the fifty or more lug emails usually takes
> under ten seconds.  I am lucky that I live in Canada, the leader in the
> telecommunications industry.  We had the phone company ADSL modems two or
> three years ago and were the first city in North America to have them in
> widespread use.  It must be all the modern Northern Telecom (a Canadian
> Company) phones switches that have been installed in the past few years,
> replacing older units.
>
> Actually, what most people don't realize is that for Europeans, every call
> is a toll call, even the one to their next door neighbor.  That is why we
> get complaints about the amount of traffic on this list from Europeans.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium