Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: "James R. Nelon" <jnelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:51:24 +0800

You suggest that there are no fees to pay when you use an ATM to
withdraw funds when overseas. Let me suggest otherwise: When I withdrew
some funds when I was in Bangkok recently (I live in Hong Kong and have
a "no fee for ATM use" credit card issued by a bank in Boston), I was
charged a "foreign use" fee for simply accessing the ATM of Hong Kong
Bank in Bangkok. Then I was charged a transaction fee (three bucks or so
USD) for the actual withdrawal, and then on top of those surprises the
bank gave me a terrible exchange rate, adding yet another cost to me on
top of the other two insults. I've lived in Asia for almost six years,
and I find it almost always better to exchange USD into the country's
currency at the airport upon arrival in the visiting country. At least
in Asia. The exception being in Manila, where the hotels are usually
(miraculously) a better deal.

Jim Nelon