Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel Photography Made Easy
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:39:02 -0700

>Mike Quinn wrote:
>
>> I often can't see the sides of the film canisters when I pick one.
>> Isn't it hard to see your colored paper?
>> Instead, I usually mark an "X" (for "Exposed") on the top of any canisters
>> with exposed film.   It helps to transfer all exposed rolls to a
>>separate container each evening.>>

DONAL PHILBY REPLIED:
>Way too much work.  Just get some Ziplocks, get the film out of the canisters
>and there you go.  Double bag 'em if you are paranoid.  Much smaller,
>safe, easy to get through the security and I can carry 120 rolls on top of
>gear in the
>camera bag.  Sometimes I put the ziplocks inside a zippered screen bag I
>got at a camping supply house for a little additional protection.

This film carrying thing is in the same category as taking pictures: KISS!
"Keep it simple stupid!"  Like Donal, I use zip lock freezer bags, all film
comes out of cannisters and into bags, same film in one bag others in
another.

In the camera bag outside end pouches I place one "rubbermaid" clear
plastic one sandwich container, Each holds 18 rolls comfortably, not in
cannisters! Have these in hand before you get to the conveyor belt. Put
them aside for a hand inspection, the inspectors can then see it's film.
The dumb ones still take the lid off and feel each roll!

If you are carrying one or two hundred rolls on board put them in separate
ziplock bags in a carry on hand bag. I use an old beat up black KODAK hand
bag like a gym bag,..film only, Period.

Set your camera bag on the conveyor belt (don't worry about your gear and
don't be fiddling with the bag just throw it on the belt and pull the film
bags out and place them on the side for hand inspection, then throw the
empty hand bag on the conveyor to go through.  Be efficient at this, be
early at the departure gate!!!  Use come sense, look efficient and
organized. (you've done this a million times without looking "cocky about
it!!")

If you are a photographer who feel you must use the cannisters, still empty
to freezer bags, put empty cannisters in your checked baggage, where upon
arrival at destination re-load the film back into cannisters. While you are
resting from the flight.

As you expose film, the exposed rolls go back into the freezer bags, or if
you feel you must re-use cannisters, REMEMBR!!! before your departure empty
all exposed and non exposed film back into the ziplocks for the reverse
procedure going home or onto the next location.

It has worked for me for more flights than I remember. But even with all
this film carrying preparation, there are countries where clear and simple
see through backs don't matter a whit........."Sorry mate, it goes through
the carry on scanner!"  And no amount of whining, begging, grovelling will
make one iota of a difference.

Put the film on the belt with a "Hail Mary, Allah or whomever" blessing and
keep you fingers crossed.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant