From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:22:27 -0700

>Alexander wrote:
>
>>Hello LUG.
>>I have communicated with Brian.
>>We have the green light for the creation of the new LeicaSLR list.

Folks,

I can't understand why some want to separate R/SLR owners from M, simply
because the cameras and lenses are Leica! Period.  Yes I know, that
generally when referring to "Leica" it is an automatic assumption we are
talking M camera.

Historical factors in play, no problem.  However I have used both types for
many years and on a lot of assignments at the same time, 2 or 3 M's hung
from my neck stacked above each other on my chest, a couple of motor driven
long lens R's on the left shoulder and one on the right shoulder or in my
hands.

Do you see any difference in the quality of the image?  Nope, not as far as
I'm concerned, only in the image taken do you know it was a long or short
lens.

To separate our conversations into R or M simply because they are of
different design, "Does this not deny each other information applicable to
both? Without switching back and forth on two lists?.

I've learned many things of "taking pictures and how to handle both, all on
the same page" and I'd appreciate someone or many, to give myself and
others a pure simple common sense reason "what will be accomplished by
dividing the two camera users?"

Just keep in mind the age old saying. "United we stand! Divided we fall!"

Don't we all want to be winners?  After all, both are Leica!  And what do
we constantly hear is the most important Leica element? "It's the glass
stupid, the box just carries the most important part of a Leica, ___the
lens!"___

Just think of all the small things, interesting to some not so to others,
that one would miss slipping back and forth. I know I am wasting more and
more time sitting here due to looking at "way too much" stuff, when there
are so many picture taking moments being lost.

Adding another list to supposedly satisfy a few R users or the M user who
want R out of their face, doesn't seem a very productive use of time and
energy, when there are so many wonderful images yet untaken in the world.
Just my humble opinion.

regards,
ted

Ted Grant