Subject: Re: [Leica]Decisions, Decisions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 12:32:51 -0500

At 03:09 PM 10/6/99 +0000, Paul Klingaman wrote:
>paper.  Regardless, I'll keep the 23C around to print medium format on
>occasion.  There is not much info. about the V35 and its available light
>sources on the net, so I'd appreciate anything you all could contribute.

You don't need cold light with the V35. There is no way to adapt any other
light source. It's got one of the best light sources  around already. It's
smooth like cold light, unlike other Leica enlargers that are
semi-condenser. What the V35 has is close enough to the same as cold light,
so don't worry. Like I said earlier this week, the drop off of illumination
on the V35 was tested by Modern Photography to be 1/10 stop from center to
edge. Can't want much better than that from a 35mm enlarger. The one thing
you'll probably want is some extra high grade paper to go with your VC
paper ( I used Oriental VC and then Oriental's grade 4 paper - which was
like most other paper's grade 5) to compensate for the light being so soft
that the V35 dialed up to it's highest setting was like grade 3 1/2 or so.

Of course, I processed my film for work, which had condenser enlargers -
23C actually - and so when I would run the negs through my V35 at home, the
film would probably be considered a bit underdeveloped for that kind of
light. YMMV.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There are two kinds of photographers: those who compose pictures and those
who take them. The former work in studios. For the latter, the studio is
the world.... For them, the ordinary doesn't exist: every thing in life is
a source of nourishment. -Ernst Haas