Subject: Re: [Leica]Decisions, Decisions
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:02:15 -0700

At 8:12 PM +0000 10/6/99, Christer Almqvist wrote:
>Why only auto focus?
>
>For $ 1000 you can get a Heiland Splitgrade module for the V35 (and for
>some Dunco, Jobo, DeVere enlargers too) that will expose the paper with
>first yellow and then magenta light which is said to give you additional
>manipulating possibilities. But that is only half the story. The module has
>a sensor that will suggest the exposure time and the filter grade to use
>for the negative in the enlarger, and it will not only expose for the
>suggested time (or the time as amended by you), it will also  automatically
>expose at the contrast grade suggested (or amended by you)  on VC paper  by
>sending more or less of the yellow and the magenta light respectively. It
>does one-tenth grade contrast adjustments. It has data for 12 different
>papers at various contrast grades in its memory.
>
>I only came across this information yesterday in Monochrome's new catalogue
>for the year 2000, and I have no personal experience. Anyway, Heiland is a
>highly reputable Geman manufacturer of densiometes with a non plus ultra
>reputation. Wilhelm Heiland has written books on densiometry, grey scales,
>zone systems and designed software for documenting and calculating
>gradation and exposure using a PC. They are serious people. I think they
>have a website, but I do not have the address, nor do I know their postal
>address.

Their web site is: http://www.heilandelectronic.de/
They have a rather confusing and poorly laid out web site, but a lot of the
required information is there. Note: you have to click on the large words
'English' or 'Deutsch' in the middle of the left side of the opeining page
to get anywhere.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com