Subject: [Leica] Home photo printers and the digital darkroom
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:06:36 +0200

From: Robert Jones <drrjones@flashcom.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 20:28
Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V12 #44

> That is, the dot size is only one variable when using
> MIS Quadtone inks, the other variable being different
> shades of gray. This means that the 150 pixels per inch
> + 50% does not apply (unless of course your output is to
> a halftone printer).

The only time that the halftone rules don't apply is when you are using
transparent inks that can overlay each other and be varied in opacity as
required.  The only printer technology I'm aware of for home use that does this
is dye-sublimation and its ilk (such as the Alps printers).  In these printers,
dot size and pixel dimensions are one and the same.  However, in any other
printer--any printer using nominally opaque inks, or inks that cannot be varied
in intensity or opacity--the restrictions of halftone printing continue to
apply.

  -- Anthony