Subject: RE: [Leica] Buying film locally
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:22:30 -0200

At 09:23 AM 07/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'll have to check it out.  If they stock Kodachrome, I'll have to give
>myself a big slap on the face since I've been making Kodachrome pilgrimages
>to the Toronto for many years and there is a Shoppers right around the
>corner.  This being Hamilton and all, it's right next to Tim Hortons ;-).
>
>Jonathan Lee

Yes Jonathan,

Even the Shoppers Drug Mart in St. John's, Newfoundland has Kodachrome!!!
.... AND, they'll ship it to Rochester, NY for you for processing.

The owner even agreed to bring in 60 rolls of K200 for me when I needed it
for the MSF/ Africa project. It took 4 weeks but I got it at a great price.

As for travelling with film.... My rule is, take what you think you'll need.
Re-supply if necessary, in small amounts. Prices outside Canada are
horrendous... usually because the Canadian dollar is worthless.

Seek out the local pro lab and have E-6 and C-41 processed before returning
home. I've found good labs in most European cities and even a few African ones.

I even found a decent AGFA C-41 processor in a Kluj, Bosnia!!
I had to help the guy set up the new machine in a store with no windows, but
was clean and worked great.

The hardest part about travelling as a professional photographer for me is
explaining the amount of equipment to Mr. Customs Man and just why I need to
bring 200 plus rolls of film into his country.

cheers,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm