Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:47:58 -0400

At 09:55 AM 10/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>I'm curious to know whether you intend to go digital for the prints that
>you sell? I ask for a couple of reasons.
>
>First: I've been offered two walls in a local hot restaurant (on the basis
>of small prints from the Epson 700).  I don't have a darkroom, nor easy
>access to one, so I'm upgrading the printer along the lines we've already
>discussed--and moving to archival inks and papers for the
>'exhibition.'  Are you--or any other Luggers--exhibiting digital prints?
>
>Second: I'm exited by the possibilities of various ink/paper combinations
>and their application in 35mm photography--but I'm concerned about the
>'resistance' this might encounter among folk who think of quality B&W
>photography as an entirely silver based process.  Have you encountered
>this attitude?  Have you thought about a response to it?
>
>I pose these questions generally to the LUG, but you seem to be a bit
>ahead on the digital curve.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Chandos

Hi, Chandos -

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm just skimming the surface of
what's available digitally!  I am selling and exhibiting digital prints now
for color but am still experimenting with black and white.  If you call
them giclee instead of digital, most people don't question the fact that
they are photographs.  I always tell people that all photographs will fade
if exposed to UV light and to keep them out of the sun.  The new inks and
papers are even more archival than darkroom prints anyway.  See Henry
Wilhelm's tests here:
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Print_Permanence/print_permanence.html

There is some very good, very thorough advice on black and white digital
printing here:
http://www.photo-snowdonia.freeserve.co.uk/link16.htm

You can read about a fine-art photographer who has switched from platinum
to digital here:  http://www.apple.com/publishing/design/photos/index.html
Tom Millea, the photographer, says that when he exhibits platinum prints
and giclee prints together, most people cannot tell the difference.

And more than you ever wanted to know about digital printing here:
http://come.to/digitaldarkroom

As I'm typing, my Epson is printing out Leica color prints that I've sold
and will be shipping out this afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com