Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:40:53 +0200

From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 17:02
Subject: [Leica] noct performance

> At f1 the Noct has a contrast for the 40lp of 30%
> in the center and 10% on a location 6mm from the
> axis. At f8 the contrast for the same 40lp is 70%
> for both locations. An improvement of 100%. The other
> way around: at f/1 the Noct resolves 30 lp with good
> contrast and at f8 has a resolving power of above
> 70 lp. Again a 100% improvement

It is hard for me to relate this figures to my real-world shooting conditions.
You indicate that the Noctilux is not suitable as an "all-around" 50-mm lens (as
compared to the Summicron), but I'm not clear on what you consider suitable.  I
shoot everything handheld, typically slide film of ISO 100 or below, or color
negative film of ISO 400 or below, or black and white film up to ISO 3200.
Would I see the difference in my scans (53 lp/mm maximum for my 2700 dpi
scanner) between these two lenses?  It seems very expensive to buy a Noctilux
and then have to turn around and buy another 50-mm lens for situations that
don't involve very low light.

How would the Noctilux compare to, say, my AF-S Nikkor 28-70/2.8 zoom?

  -- Anthony