Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:29:13 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 22:38

> Life is unfair also get the new collapsible
> 50mm Elmar. (in Chrome)

I don't understand the advantage to a collapsible lens.  It looks hokey, and
it's just one more thing that can get out of adjustment.

> Anthony you are always pitting fixed lenses against zooms
> and from where I sit it's an insult to the fixed lens...
> not a fair comparison.

I mount zooms on my F5 (or more specifically one zoom, the 28-70/2.8), and
primes on my Leica.  Therefore it is reasonable for me to wonder how the
Noctilux prime stacks up at normal apertures against my Nikkor zoom.  At least
it gives me a benchmark.

> The Noct is a monster because it is designed to do
> specifically what it does.

A monster?  Have you seen the AF-S zoom I'm talking about?

> MAKE VIABLE IMAGES AT F1.
> I wasn't designed to be a knock around snap shooter.

So are you saying that it will produces images inferior to my zoom at smaller
apertures?  That would be kind of disappointing in a $2800 lens, but I suppose
that it's possible, if the lens is very, very specialized.

  -- Anthony