Subject: [Leica] Leitz Summaron 3.5cm
From: Darren Soh <draken@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 03:50:34 +1300

Dear all,
Hi. I know for a fact that early M-mount lenses (late 50s) were actually
LTM-lenses given a M-adapter. I came across two specimens of the above
lens today in a shop...the E39 later version and not the A36 earlier
version that I intended to get for a friend who wants to start on the
M-system but is on a severe budget. I noticed that the depth-of-field
marks of both lenses were on the M-mount itself, at the very edge of the
lens. However, when I tried mounting the two lenses on an M2, they both
brought up the 50mm frame lines instead of the 35's. My first thought
was that the lenses had had the wrong adapter (ie a 50mm one) fitted on,
but the depth of field scale was clearly that of a 35mm's. Does anyone
know what the problem might be? My own A-36 Summaron 3.5cm brings up the
correct frame lines with a 13.5cm adapter.

Thanks

- --
http://www.asiaphoto.com/draken
Black, White and other shades of Gray