Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance 50's
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 23:23:45 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 21:07

> It is heavier than the 50 Summicron even and in
> comparison to the non ASPH Summicron 1:2/35 a real
> monster. That non ASPH is real pocketable not the ASPH!

Tsk, tsk.  You need to heft a truly manly SLR lens one of these days and learn
what size and length and weight are all about!

For what it's worth, I saw a group of people who looked like they belonged to
some sort of camera club today, and they were just about drowning in equipment.
Some of the lenses they had on their cameras looked about two feet long.  Some
of them have two tripods, too, and had to set one of them up for every shot.  I
guess nobody told them that Tech Pan is not a travel film, or that good images
can be made at focal lengths under 600 mm, especially for subjects six feet
away.  In any case, they must be groaning under the weight of all that gear by
the end of the day!  And not one Leica in the bunch!

> Why are you always carrying around that darn Nikon afraid
> the M6 is going to break?

Did I say that?  I've only carried the Nikon once in the past three weeks; the
rest of the time it has been the Leica.

> Is there a law that says you can't put a prime lens on it
> and experience a new thrill.

No.  It's mainly a question of budget, and a question of lugging tons of gear
around.  Also, one of the main reasons for using the Nikon is to have the
flexibility of infinitely-variable focal length, something I can never have on a
rangefinder.  When I know that I'll need multiple focal lengths on one outing, I
take the Nikon, as it is easier to use a single, good zoom than to carry
multiple primes (not that I have that many primes to begin with).

> Make your Nikon feel just a tad more Leicalike!

The Nikon actually has great ergonomy.  It is big and heavy, to be sure, but
it's extremely comfortable to hold and use, both for the body and for the AF-S
lens.  It doesn't feel the same as a Leica, but it is very comfortable in its
own way.  It feels a lot nicer than the Nikon FG, which is a pain to hold
(although at least it is smaller and lighter).

  -- Anthony