Subject: [Leica] The Chinese Leitz lens factory
From: MC Lau <mclau@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 23:37:35 +0800

> Jonathan Lee wrote:-
> The objectives (lenses) for my brand spanking new Leica micorscope (DM1L)
> are all made in China!

<SNIP>

>  I hope Leica Camera never farms out any of its lens
> work.
>
> On the whole the microscope optics are superb, they blow the pants off
> the
> competing Nikon stuff and are at least as good as the Zeiss
> mciroscopy.

Speaking as someone from the third world country, I hope Leica Camera
should continue to farm out more of its work to the third world
country.  As Jonathan has testified, the quality of the microscope had
not suffered because Leica Microsystems had done so.  It probably cost
twice as much if Leica manufactured everything itself

Malaysia is a net exporter of camera because Canon, and Minolta both
have major manufacturing plant here since the early 90s. Like most third
world countries, we have a very well educated workforce, low cost of
operation, hard working people and had produced products of world
renowned quality.  Thanks to National Panasonic, we are the largest
exporter of room air conditioners in the world.

If third world country can produced products of world class quality and
in the course of doing so keeping the cost down to benefit the users,
why shouldn't Leica and others continue to farm out the works to the
third world countries?

MC Lau