Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Canon 0.95 (WAS noct performance)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 08:47:22 -0700

Nathan wrote:

<<Ted
>But why do you want it in the first place? From what I have read, it is
>inferior to the Noctilux which you already have and with which you have
>shown us all what Leica photography is all about. Just curious...

Hi Nathan,

Well it's just like asking a mountain climber, "why do you want to climb
Mount Everest?" And the climber responds, "Just because it's there!" :)

So I guess I'd have to say, "Just for the hell of it!" to buy the 0.95 :)

Not because of any special reason or anything technical, simply because,
"gee whiz, neat lens."  Besides I saw the "Tom Jones" movie several times
and each time I was blown away with the gorgeous available light candle lit
scenes. :)

Besides at the time $800 for camera and lens it would have been a tidy
investment for today. But that's hindsight, as I never think along those
lines with camera gear, I like to use the stuff.

I realize it couldn't touch the Noctilux and that wasn't in my mind that it
would be compared to or outperform the Noctilux, with the thought of
purchasing.  One might say it was a "whim to purchase created by the movie
scenes and nothing else."

By the same token, I can and have done similar scenes using the Noctilux by
candle light and it is the only lens that one can do wonderful imagery and
still hand hold. "very carefully" without having the camera on a tripod!

So there we are, I'm still and always will be a "Noctilux man!" :):):)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant