Subject: Re: [Leica] noct performance
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 10:19:55 -0700

Guttentag Horst,

I want to go!!!!!:)  Just the description evokes all kinds of wonderful
Leica created images, well OK I can see them in my minds eye, the Leica
just records them on the film. :)

This is the time one needs 2 bodies and two Noctiluxes....one colour, one B&W!
Then you wouldn't have to screw around changing lens body to body and could
be winging it like crazy shooting both as fast as the scenes came before
you.

May I offer a tiny suggestion? Even though the fog and atmosphere
conditions will create a haloing effect with the lights and to some degree
the reflected light in the wet streets, it might be worth trying, dare I
say it? :)

Putting a "softar filter" on the lens to see what kind of effect it would
create, certainly worth a try on a few.  I think it's one of those
atmosphere/ light conditions you really can't tell how effective it is,
until looking on the light table.

Anyway, have a great shoot, softar or not, sounds perfect conditions for
great moody 19th century images.

ted

>Next month, November I'll go for 2 weeks to Germany. In November, the day
>starts to finish at 3 pm, by 5 pm it will be dark. November has this
>fabulous foggy and wet shiny days. The street lights will reflect on the
>streets. The lights in the shop windows will already be on by 4pm. The
>trees will barley be visible in the fog. There will be the hot chestnut
>seller on the street corner with a steamy breath. There will be trains
>emerging with the lights already on in the early evening  Maybe, I hope,
>it will rain a lot.
>
>I'll take my M3 (with rewind crank). Plenty of duty free Film and....my
>Noctilux.
>
>That, I hope, is one of the reasons, the Noctilux is made.
>
>It will be great wide open and it will still be great stopped down. After
>all, its a Leica lens.
>
>Regards, Horst Schmidt

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant