Subject: RE: [Leica] digital printing - scan negs or prints?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 08:34:17 -0400

At 01:07 PM 10/10/99 +0000, you wrote:

>Can anybody advise me on this?  What are the quality considerations between
>scanning prints and negs/trans?  I was surprised when I saw the article
>arguing in favour of using 7x5 inch print scans for A3 inkjet prints
>because I had assumed that the dynamic range from a print scan would be
>significantly inferior to a film scan.
>
>Simon,
>London.

Simon -

I was surprised to read this, too.  I've always felt that the fewer
generations you go through to the final product, the better the result will
be.  Since the film is the first generation, it should give better
results.  I have absolutely no complaints about my LS-2000 and do not see
how a flat scanner could possibly be better.  He does say it is simpler
because he is doing all of the color and contrast adjusting before he makes
the print.  I find that much easier to do with the scanning software and
Photoshop.  I just finished a brochure for a company with 15 close-up
photographs of people with very different skin tones (all photographed with
the R6.2).  They all come out exactly on target.  I couldn't be happier!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com