Subject: Re: [Leica] digital printing - scan negs or prints?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:59:59 -0400

Tina-
I too thought the flatbed was the way for me, but that was because it was so
easy to get a decent scan from a good print. I now have a film scanner, and
a copy of Photoshop 5, and it has been almost three weeks, but I am starting
to get the results I want!
The learning curve for the film scanner and PS5 setup is longer, by a mile
it seems at times, but the results ARE better. I spent three days at the
beach, vegetating and reading printouts from the Digital Darkroom site Tim
A. was so kind to tell us about, and have come to appreciate the power the
film scanner and PS can give you.... likewise, while it may make for very
good results, puttering around as I did  before, not knowing what I was
doing, can lead to some pretty miserable results!
I think I am getting to the point where I am understanding the concepts, and
can now make some adjustments with predictable outcomes!
Gosh- the wet darkroom seems so easy now! I love the smell of fix, and the
sting of the sweat as it runs into my eyes as I focus, but I am beginning to
see that digital does have its place. I think that the fears of the purists
are unfounded; photography didn't replace painting as an art form as so many
feared. Digital will, in the end, complement rather than replace the silver
based imaging systems.
However- like many other endeavors- it takes time and practice to perfect.
Dan