Subject: Re: [Leica] How to manage a camera company?
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:07:13 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, I can't help throwing in my particular piece of heresy.

Perhaps because I live here in Silicon Valley, and though I cringe as
I type it, I have to point out that the days of film are numbered.

Without any data to back it up, I'll just say that the days of brisk
35mm camera sales are over. Their heyday was surely in the 60s and 70s.

So if there's really a future for Leica, it will be either an R or M
mount digital camera, or perhaps a digital camera with a new autofocus
lens mount with Leica glass.

Let me say that this belief of mine has nothing to do with the way
I actually use M cameras. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool film user. But I
really fail to see how any incremental improvement in the R or M line
(autofocus? auto exposure? motor drive? be serious!) will turn around
Leica's troubles.

Byron.