Subject: Re: [Leica] A Negative View
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

> You have the impression that photography is ephemeral. If you work and live
> in Silicon Valley that view of the world comes all too easily. A photograph
> isn't abstract. It is a tangible. It is not a mathematical formula. Chemists
> and physicists involved in film research might use intangible means in their
> work; but always the objective is a material product that can be sold off the
> shelf. I'm invoking the nature of photography here. It isn't digital. It's
> analog.

Well, please don't pigeonhole me in this way.

If you heard me talking to my friends you would hear me talking about
precisely these qualities of analog media. Believe me, I appreciate
them dearly. I keep my negatives in a fire safe.

However, I think I fall into a minority. Call me a pessimist.

Byron.