Subject: [Leica] Leica quality: Other Mounts
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:36:25 -0700

 Change is needed to keep the marque alive in its present technological
state of pure glass excellence.  I repeat what I said a while back, Leica
needs to make more glass where they can make money off, from new and past
designs.  There are 2 ways to do that..... Mount the lenses for only Leica
cameras or add other cameras' mounts like Nikon and Canon.  They are already
supplying for the R and M mounts.  This market is basically captive and is
not cutting it financially for Leica.  The only expansion possible is into
other mounts.

1) Leica needs to make R Lenses for the Nikon, Minolta, Nikon, Canon,
Pentax, etc, and maybe medium format  mounts.

Cheaper cameras are not the solution, unless they do a re-brand, like they
did with the P+S.  Even then, the buyer of a "cheap" camera will not be able
to afford expensive lenses for their cheap camera. so this thinking is
flawed.

Controversial?  Probably, but Leica needs to do something in the SLR world
that is significant to THEIR bottom line.  The R8 is a small potato.  They
need to tap into a bigger market.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net