Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] survival of Leica as a company
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:52:53 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/99 1:39:01 PM, Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca writes:

>You have a point, but even if you will never buy new Leica gear, the law
>of
>
>suppply and demand makes the price of the used stuff dependent on the
>
>availability of new gear.  For example, a used non-ASPH 35 f2 now is going
>
>to run under $1K.  If there were no new ASPH 35s, that price would go up
>
>because all the people who wanted to buy the new ASPH 35 now have to buy
>the
>
>used non-ASPH.  And since the supply is fixed, price is up.  If Leica goes
>
>out of business today, everything Leica made becomes quasi-collectible
>and
>
>the price will go up.

We saw the same thing in the guitar market (I dabble in used guitars from
time to time) when Fender and Gibson's quality went south during the late 70s
and 80s. While the companies stayed in business, for most serious musicians
they ceased to exist. That (and other factors) placed a tremendous demand on
the older, so-called vintage gear. You used to be able to buy a late-50s, earl
y 60s Gibson Les Paul for $200. Today some variations of that same guitar
bring $40,000. $500 used to buy you an armload of Fender Stratocasters. Now a
early 60s example might bring $6,000 or more. Fortunately Fender (and to some
degree Gibson) is back in the game so you can buy a excellent Fender guitar
off the shelf for not much more than a grand (less if you don't know the
difference). Even so, the market for the old stuff remains quite high.

Now consider Leica. When I last paid attention to Leica about 13 years ago I
sold my black enamel M4 and 35mm Summicron for $750. Admittedly I sold it
wholesale to fund another purchase but even so black paint bodies were not
bringing anything like today's prices. Leica prices would certainly skyrocket
if production ceased. Also, we wouldn't benefit from further development of
lenses.

Still, there is little you and I can do to preserve Leica other than buy new
Leica cameras -- lots of new Leica cameras.

Bob (us bottom feeders like it when you guys buy new stuff ) McEowen