Subject: [Leica] Recent observations
From: "Deborah Dion" <dkdion@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:48:35 -0400

Been reading the last week of digests; to comment on some of the threads:

Does Leica really make a difference... Yes.
I actually had the opportunity to work with my M6 and FM2T- to shoot a
candlelight ceremony for a Breast Cancer organization at oval in front of
the Phila. Art Museum Steps. I got surprisingly good results considering
that the batteries in my flash went and I didn't bring replacements. I used
only an 85mm f1.4 nikkor on the FM2 and all my lenses with the M6. The Nikon
did a reliable job with low light (I did have a tripod)... But the M6 takes
such good people pictures. (no judgment on the photographer...)  Comments
from several people- they didn't even know that I was taking their picture
when I used the M6. Another interesting observation - had both cameras
around my neck and someone came up and looked at the Nikon and said "That's
a really impressive camera..." I do think that the average person has no
clue what an M6 is. I still really miss my R7. I sold it to get the FM2T for
weight considerations, price of telephoto lenses and the fact that I use the
M6 most of the time.

Longevity of prints: this has been a very important issue for me as I am
primarily an artist. There is a longevity issue with original watercolors,
fine art prints as well as photographs. I like the reports of 65-75 years
longevity as opposed to 15-25 years. Although I don't think I'll be here in
65 years to worry about my prints.

I am getting good comments (and some sales!) of my photographs scanned on
Nikon LS2000 and printed on Arches paper with Lyson inks on an Epson Stylus
3000. I'm fascinated with this printing process. I'm going to upgrade to a
G4. Supposedly some problems with the G4 and the hookup to the printer due
to the lack of a serial port. I'll need to do an ethernet network to print.

One question; I hear from my camera dealer in Phila. that the M6 non TTL .72
(not higher mag.) viewfinder is in short supply. Anyone know of ones
available for sale? I'll pass it on to him. He says he has a waiting list.

Debby Dion