Subject: "Irrational" M6 (was Re: [Leica] How to manage a camera company?)
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:50:45 -0400

> The Leica M6 is basically an irrational camera bought by people for
> basically irrational reasons.  This isn't necessarilly a bad thing; I have
> two of the damn things myself.   The point of all this being that the M6
> sells because of what it is and what it represents, and what it used to
> represent.   There are plenty of modern, high quality cameras for people to
> choose from if that is all they want.  There is only one Leica.  Sure the
> lenses are good, but there are other pretty decent lenses out there as well.

Dan,

I understand your point, but I disagree on the M6 being an irrational
product.  For my purposes at least, I find the M6 to be the only
rational choice out there.  I do a fair amount of street photography
and in that and all my other 35mm work I try to work quickly, quietly,
and inconspicuously.  I want to see without being seen.  The only
camera I know of that will allow me to work thusly is a Leica M.
Others may make lenses as good as Leica, but no one makes (or can
make) SLR lenses as small.  And no one makes an interchangeable-lens
35mm camera of any kind that is as quick and quiet.  On the street an
M6 with the red dot taped up doesn't look like much of anything; a P&S
maybe.  In a crowd or on a busy street I can stand four feet away from
people and take pictures without being noticed.  I know that would be
impossible with any Nikon, Canon, or Leica SLR -- too big, too noisy,
too much lens, too much camera.

As many of us have said before, it's a question of choosing the right
tool for the job.  I don't shoot sports, so I don't need autofocus,
motor drives, or 300mm f/2.8 lenses.  I don't shoot landscapes, so I
don't need a 4X5 field camera, a Ries tripod, fond memories of Super
XX, and a head full of Zen koans.  I don't shoot weddings (though I've
assisted on a few), so I don't need a Hasselblad, a Quantum Q Flash,
Portra 400NC, and a sparkling personality.  The only rational choice
for me is a Leica M, a 35 Summicron or Summilux, Tri-X, and the will
and desire to get out there, to see, and to shoot.

Rob Schneider