Subject: Re: [Leica] Future of film
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:35:47 +1000

> > While I can see future enhancements of the sound track, I am somewhat limited
> > in my vision as to what benefit would be derived from digitization of the
> > picture track.  Without some great artistic or cost benefit, why should the
> > theaters swich from film to digital tracks?
>
> Bill,

Bill, the advantages are incredible.  Just think about a picture theater, without
big reels of film and without a complicated (mechanically) projector system.

What you'll have: A black box, with a plug in CD. This is connected to a projector
whose smallness is only limited by the heat the projection lamp creates, or at a
later stage. the box is connected via one cable to a giant LCD or  plasma screen.
The whole thing is controlled by  a sequencer box. (Programmable logic controller)
Any problems which occur are recorded and the backup system is started.

There is no need at all for any personnel in the whole theater complex. You'll pay
with your Credit card or Smart card on the (ex) Box Office.
So you can have a 10 or 20 or more theater setup controlled via network from one
central location somewhere in the world.

This could be done today. The only limiting factor at the moment, would be the cost
and the brightness of the giant LCD screen. The rest: Its all here already.

Regards, Horst Schmidt