Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: [f****** expensive] Vogtlander 15MM
From: "Shawn London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:41:49 -0400

My take on this is that the auction until quite recently has been something
was unavailable to the general public on an instantaneous basis with such a
wide variety of relatively lower-priced items for sale. Most people had
little ability (or desire) to go to a big auction house to bid on Elvis'
drawers or some such thing.  However, if you can snap up a used Leica lens
that your corner camera shop doesn't have, it is a different story entirely.

Additionally, the reason that the auction houses are in business is that
people quite often pay more at auction than they would in a private want-ad
listing.  The low initial bid price is a teaser which draws people in.  Once
you've placed a bid and decided that you really want something, it is harder
to back away than to make a $5 incremental bid to stay in the game.