Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica threat to M:
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:15:53 -0600

"Birkey, Duane" wrote:

> In my mind, at least what I've seen so far...  I'm not impressed with the
> Konica....
>
> I won't buy one and I won't buy the lenses... I don't think it is much of a
> threat to Contax either unless the lenses blow everything else out of the
> water.... yeah right...

This isn't exactly the "Volks Leica" that some of us may have wanted,
but it looks cool all the same: Imagine seeing the M-mount arise as an
important industry standard! More lens choices! More gadgets to go broke
buying! We're still lacking an affordable introduction to the wonders of
M-type photography, but after usual discounting, maybe a Hexar RF and
one of the newer Cosina lenses will come close. Name a Japanese town
"Germany", so that all items can say "Made In Germany", and we're all
set. Gotta do something to get students and a younger crowd in general
enthused with M-type photography, because greying devotees of 40
year-old cameras aren't going to keep Leica in business, but a
twentysomething with a Hexar-RF and lust for a Tri-Elmar just might.
Help those folks out, so that you'll have someone to listen eagerly to
your Leica ramblings when you're old and grey, otherwise, don't blame me
if all you get to hear about in your old age is "Nikon this" and "Canon
that"!

Leica's survival *does* matter: Is there an Exakta user's group? Does it
have more than two members?? Used an Amiga lately?

Jeff