Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Hood Use
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:43:49 -0700

Aaron Ruby wrote:

> I have been using my 35 summilux and pre-asph 35 summicron (latest) with
> their respective hoods without fail, even indoors. This may be an
> idiotic question, but is using hoods indoors overkill? I understand
> that, at least outdoors or in the presence of strong light sources, the
> hood increases contrast and mitigates flare. Is that right? How
> dependent is image quality on lens hoods in general for these particular
> Leica gems. One reason I ask is that the camera seems much less
> obtrusive without the hoods. I often find that people's attention are
> drawn to quirky-looking 12504 or the 'cute' 12524. What's the good word?
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron

In my opinion less but still necessary. I know some pros who don't think you
need them in the studio. NOT ME!
And they protect your glass against protruding lamp shades!
But a lens shade on a wide angle is not going to be able to do as much. Too
short! Length challenged!
I don't understand why you would think the camera is commanding more attention
because of the hood. The hood is certainly cool. And unusual because it is
square. But people just think you have some antique you are trying to make take
pictures. They don't think you are trying to steal their soul with a real camera
like a Nikon!
Mark Rabiner