Subject: [Leica] Leica's position at the end of the millenium
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:49:15 +0200

First I would like to apologize to anyone who feels offended by my
remark about the historical background. One of my rare attempts at
humor just does not work. I should leave that to my brother.

Mike wrote in part:
"I think, for one thing, that the G2 has taken more users
"away from Leica than it has contributed to Leica; from what I hear in my
"position, I would guess the ratio of people abandoning Leica for the G2
"vs. the other way around is perhaps 2 or 3 to 1.

If Mike says so, I would not doubt the accuracy of this statement.
Still, looking at the production figures for the last 5 or so years,
you will note that 1993: 9930 and  1994:11200 and 1995:10200 and now
around 11000 to 12000. It is true that these production figures go
slightly upward and if there is a G effect it might be seen around
1995. (The G1 arrived late in 1994).  There is no discrepancy here.
People leaving Leica for the G might be persons who bought their
Leica long ago or second hand. What may be happening is that some
people from Leicas userbase leave and that new buyers  add to the
base. Unless we know the figure of the current user base, and can see
if it grows or declines, we can ascertain if the use of Leicas grows
or declines, or stays stable because of influx of new buyers and
abandonment of people who stop using Leica. When the Konica Hexar
arrived in 1992, some people predicted that Leica would take a blow,
and again this had been predicted in 1994 when the G1 arrived and now
we see it happening with the Hexar and we will see it being repeated
when the Bessa-RF arrives.
Leica cannot stay complacent and new models or variants of models are
needed, but not because of this competition but because the Leica way
of photography needs some  fresh rethinking. That is Leica should
develop their own philosophy of taking photograps by looking back
into their roots.  The future for Leica is not the Hexar RF. As soon
as a company strays away from its roots and just copies the
competition (however excellent that may be), then we may pray and
hope. The strength of Leica has always been their independent and
unique view  on photographic instruments and their ability to design
very effective tools for taking pictures. Just adding features in a
well designed body will not convince the market. Look at the new
Minolta flagship: loaded with most features of the competition. But
are the Nikon people run  in droves  to the Minolta?
Leica follows several strategies: branding as with the Fuji digital
camera, upgrading as with the compact line and developing their own
products. A new strategy is embodied in the new compact C1, lens
designed by Leica, body designed in Frankfurt by a German industrial
design company and built in Japan.
Leica should build on its own strengths and not copy others. Since a
few years from the moment there was a rumor of a new Leica,
conventional wisdom had it that the new Leica should be a Leica M
with G2 features.
The Hexar is just that, excluding the AF facility. Now is the Hexar a
worthy successor to the M6?  I have not seen it and to remember
Mike's warning comment should be sparingly. But I may ask why the
Hexar has a 135mm frame line in a .6 viewfinder. That is really
useless. Not noted by anyone is the remark in the Konica specs that
the automatic parallax correction works from 0,7 to 8 meters and so
not beyond that? All this points to a clear direction for the Hexar.
And Leica would be badly advised if they would go that route.

Erwin