Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin Puts' test for film speed
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:41:06 +0000

>As you know, by push processing the shadows hardly improve, only the
>middle values and the curve will be a bit steeper. So this action
>(steeper gradient) and character (short toe) might reduce the -3 and
>-4 frames into deep black (no details visible).

>Generally when you use B&W negative film at its correct ISO speed,
>you will hardly notice any texture or grey density in the -4 frame.

 Should I try rating the film a little slower to get the
>fifth exposure discernable from base fog?
>
>Yes the method is correctly applied.

 To lower the exposure to get the shadows
>back and at the same time deciding to push the film will cancel out.
>If you need shadows you cannot push (or you should overexpose
>consciously when taking the picture, being aware of what you are
>doing) and if you need pushing you lose some deep shadows.
>
>Erwin

I seem to recall that Erwin said, when he wrote first about film speed
test, that if you make a film speed test at nominal film speed, then you
will get no useable details on the minus-4 negative (Zone I as per Ansel
Adams) in spite of the definition of film speed being the speed which would
give some useable shadow detail when underexposed four steps. Erwin went on
to say that the lack of detail in the minus-four negative  should not worry
you, unless you wanted some print detail even in the darkest shadow. If
not, you should just continue to use the nominal speed. I think this is
such a sound piece of advice that it warrants being repeated here now.

If I recall correctly, for the film speed test Erwin suggested one correct
exposure and four overexposures and four underexposures, with one f-stop
(or the time equivalent difference) between each exposure. I think it is
useful to make more exposures, five or even six over/underexposures, and to
develop several  film strips  (i.e. half films)  at the manufacturer's
recommended time  and then also at recommended time plus 10 and 20 and 30
percent. This shows cleary both where the limits of pushing are  in the
shadow details, and the effect of highlight blocking. With a few more
exposures you are really shure that nothing happens in the shadows however
long you develop but that it has effects on the highlights.

Unfortunately you need at densiometer (or something equivalent,  like the
Analyser) if you want to make a film speed test without too much work.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58