Subject: Re: [Leica] (OT) 35-70 mm zoom for G2
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:24:32 +0000

Christer Almqvist wrote:
>Issue 92 of the French Réponses Photo has a short story on the new Vario
>Sonnar 35-70 mm for the Contax G2. It is a real zoom, not a tri-focal lens.
>Maximum openings are 3.5 to 5.6. It does not work on the G1, (snip)

This lens was discussed in the Contax G user forum for some time.  There
was a lot of criticism about its slowness (f3.5).  I suppose the zoom will
help to win some converts to the G2 especially amongst the newbies and
diehards who MUST HAVE a zoom to start with.

While on the subject on variofocal lens, I get the impression that the
Tri-Elmar is not a particularly successful lens.  I think the f4 and
awkward three focal length adjustments have a lot to do with its poor sales.

Dan K.

     Modernisation is not necessarily in the best interest of mankind.