Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Titanium is Out
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:15:47 -0400

Hey Dave,

First, let me give you deserving praise for infinity-corrected Leica
onjectives. Wonderful stuff! Don't get complacent though, Zeiss has that
"variable phase" (VAR-EL??) that you guys don't have. It's a very cool
microscope feature.

I've always wondered about titanium making more durable cameras.  For me
durbaility is not measured in how long the finsih lasts, but in how well the
camera will suvive on a catastrophic impact, like being dropped on a floor.
Correct me if I am wrong, but an increase in Rockwell hardness also
increases the likelyhood of shattering, right.  Also, softer surfaces absorb
impact engergies, as those dents on my Nikon F prism will atttest. With a
hard camera covering, will not the energy of an impact be therefore absorbed
by the internal camera components, which would be a very bad thing.

Jonathan Lee
who woudn't pay for Titanium anyway