Subject: [Leica]M6 vs M4 etc
From: "Mike Gil" <pasuno@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:04:59 PDT

In reference to what model is the best made i like to offer one point of
view as far as finish is concerned.  Jim Marshalls black Leica M4 is a
example of how cheap the finish use to be, peeling paint is not pretty.
I've heavely used M4's, M4-2's, M4-P's, M6's and M6.85's. I've got to say
that the M4-2 & M4-P show signs of zincking within the first six months and
today my surving M4-P is virtually a zinc M4-P model.

Rubbing marks started at the camera straps and continued to the top and the
rest of the camera.  But my M6 ten year old model is still nearly black, yes
some rubbing around the straps and on the bottom plate but i feel it has
performed even better than previous models.

Know my one year old M6.85 still looks like new, no rubbing marks or fading
of the black finish.  Does this mean that the finish is better, I think so.
Let me say that I regularly carry three or more cameras at the same times.
And at times my little Leica has to battle my scuffed up Nikon F4 hanging
off my shoulder.

Nikon finish is another thing but i'll save that for another list or maybe
another time.

mg