Subject: RE: [Leica] M4 vs M6
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:43:01 -0700

> From: Stephen [mailto:cameras@jetlink.net]
>
> For those who haven't done so,  I urge you to compare a clean M4 to a
> clean M6 and make up your own mind --- don't depend upon anyone else's
> opinion.

My comparison of these two cameras has been:

Fit:  Overall the same.  The film door on the M4 has a bit of flex when you
press on the bottom of it.

Finish:  As far as I can tell, they're very similar.  The M6 is newer, and
so there are no marks on it yet.  The M4 is aging very gracefully.

Operation:  The film advance is a bit smoother on the M4.  The M6 shutter
release binds just a bit if you apply lateral pressure (identical to my M3).
The M4's release is silky smooth, and the shutter is a bit quieter than
either of the other cameras.  The M6 rangefinder flares (as we all know) and
the 90mm frame lines are better (i.e. more complete) on the M4.

Looks:  De gustibus non est disputandum.  I prefer the looks of the M4, with
its chrome, vulcanite, engraved top plate and overall visual proportions.
The M3 is in second place.  The M4 has soul, the M3 has character.  The M6
is a very competent machine, with just enough operational annoyances (RF
patch and VF frame layout) to keep me from bonding with it, but it's still
early days for this camera.

I can't find anything to really bitch about on any of them.  My only real
complaint is that I have a day job (which I'm currently ignoring) that
doesn't let me shoot with them as much as I'd like.

Paul Chefurka