Subject: [Leica] how much can a Kodak/Canon DCS 560 be.... digital vs film realit y check....
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@clarence.hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:52:37 -0500

Hey, not to start another digital vs film debate..... but... I priced a
Kodak/Canon DCS560 today, for a moment thinking about the theoretical
advantages of a good digital camera... after all it is a 3040 x 2008 pixel
camera....  how much can that cost.... Try $27,000 plus storage cards....
my $1600 coolscan has more pixels than that..

Ah... that would buy a complete Leica R outfit, that Noctilux I've been
wanting and a lot of film... so... We've scratched the DCS 560 off of our
wish list... That is unless someone would like to make a tax-deductible
contribution to an.. ahem... er... a... worthy cause.  Actually I think I'd
rather have the complete Leica R outfit and the Noctilux with a few rolls of
film.

So.... I personally am not in the mood to hear further arguments about
digital cameras vs traditional film until high quality digital cameras come
down to a reasonable $5 or $6000 price range.

I went to photograph Ecuador's other active volcano yesterday using EOS and
Leica M.... I was photographing a group of Volcanologists discussing the
situation, I took one shot with the EOS... everyone did a head jerk.... I
smiled... put it away and did the rest of the shots with a M-6....  and
no-one blinked an eye...

Unfortunately the weather has been hiding the volcano for several days... I
will probably head back down tommorow to try again.

Duane

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html