Subject: [Leica] Mike Magoo
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:35:49 +0000

Dan States: >>>Mike, I have owned ALL of the lenses you have listed
below except the
Olympus.  Not to put too fine a point on it but if you can't tell the
difference between the Nikon f1.8 or that Pentax and the Summicron,
particularly between full aperture and f4.0, you need to have your
prescription adjusted.:)<<<

Dan,
Well, I certainly do need a prescription adjustment (and I even do a
pretty good Mr. Magoo voice), but you're right. I'll concede you that at
f/2 and f/2.8 the Summicron is superior. In fact it's mainly at those
two apertures that the Summicron really comes into its own. I imagine it
was corrected for good performance across the aperture range; it beats
most if not all similar lenses at f/2, maybe not technically but
visually. (Imagine saying such a thing... :-/  )

But the Pentax low-contrast? _Au contraire_. Sample variation, or
sumthin'. I have pictures to show you! In fact I think you've just
decided for me that I will sell a Takumar print in my print offer in the
magazine next month. And I'll send you one for free...<g>

And of course I do use Tri-X. Just not for testing. <s>

- --Mike