Subject: [Leica] Keeping the faith
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:56:03 +0000

Stephen Gandy: >>>Interestingly, we are having this
discussion because Leica has made a very honest attempt to keep the old
standards while playing by the new rules.<<<

Hear, hear. Long may they prosper. (Ignacio Lopez at the gate or nay.)

Look at a comparable example: compare a Pentax Spotmatic F (now there
was a camera with a durable chrome finish! You hardly ever--well, seldom
ever--see one even today that doesn't look burnished and clean, many
looking almost new) and a Pentax ZX-5N. Not to knock the ZX-5N, but
there is a lot more difference between those two cameras than there is
between an M4 and an M6. Leica keeps the faith.

I would just love it if there were _one_ "classic" SLR built today that
was very similar to the Spotmatic and just as well made. Just one.

Of course I'd also love it if Leica made a commemorative IIIf or IIIg
with an M6-style meter. Maybe I'm wierd. <g>

- --Mike