Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lucas and digital
From: Michael Chmilar <chmilar@mminternet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:20:47 -0700

>As for using digital for the movies themselves, Lucas has said he
>intended to do this for the first film and decided not to since the
>technology was not there yet. I have heard that preliminary FX test
>shots for the first one are also being done in film, a good sign that it
>too will be shot on film and not digital.

Lucas intends to shoot the bulk of his new movies with a digital
camera. The digital cameras are very expensive, so traditional film
cameras will be used when the camera is "at risk", or when the
digital camera cannot be used (some of the motion-control rigs
used in FX may be built for a specific camera body).

"The Pharting Menace" was digitally projected at two L.A. theatres.
I didn't see a digital screening, but friends who did said it looked fine.

Mike

- --
Michael Chmilar
chmilar@acm.org