Subject: Re: [Leica] Q&A Time: Comments on the 250mm f/4 Telyt Wanted
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:55:41 +0300

Doug Herr wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> >>>
> Aside from the fact that this lens is heavy, has a tripod collar and
> is reasonably affordable compared to APO Telyts which have more than
> replaced it, what do you think in general about it's overall quality?
> I have an opportunity to obtain one for about $300 in mint condition
> for my SL.  Do I
>
> hold or fold?!
> <<<
>
> Mike,
>
> Is this the original version (Canada) with close focus limit of about
> 13 feet and non-rotating tripod socket?  If so the price is below
> market.  If it's the later version (Germany) with rotating tripod
> collar and close focus limit of 6 feet it's WAY below market.
>
> I've just begun using the later version (mine's in user condition) and
> have yet to form an impression of it's optical qualities aside from
> flare being very well controlled.  I have no idea how good the old
> version is.

I have the older version, and I hate the hell out of it, because I find
it a pain to focus. You really have to turn and turn and keep on
turning. And the close focus limit of some 4m is also a major pain. But
optically it's pretty good; nothing to be ashamed of. I paid $500 for
mine and I'm hanging on to it, telling myself that some day I might need
it for something other than as a paperweight. The weight is very
impressive, btw.

Bernard