Subject: RE: [Leica] re: chrome cleaning
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:45:18 -0000

> > Whatever your attitude to how the gear that you use looks, would
> > anybody actually pay more for ugly gear?
>
> Well...... I can actually see myself pay some more for a camera with
> lots of brassing and some dents.

- ------

If anyone ever wondered if "the medium is the message," the answer sits
above...

I realize I'm being insulting, but this is one of the more bizarre things
I've ever read on this list...Not liking the way brassing looks, but saying
that one would actually pay a premium to get a camera that was beaten
up...Jim Marshall's cameras look the way they do because he has beaten the
hell out of them over the years TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS...Intentionally buying a
particularly "well brassed" camera is akin to purposely buying a 3-year-old
car with 100,000 miles on it. Why would you possibly want something that you
know has had a tremendous amount of wear?

If one is really so interested in having people think that one is a hard
working photographer who has dodged bombs and nightsticks, go buy a camera
in the best condition you can find and rub the finish off...then you'll have
the best of both worlds - a camera you know is mechanically sound, and a way
to fool people you want to fool....

SCRATCHING MY HEAD IN ABSOLUTE BEFUDLMENT AND WAITING FOR TED GRANT TO WEIGH
IN ON THIS ONE, I REMAIN...

DR. BLACKTAPE