Subject: [Leica] 50 Summicron or 50 Summilux as standard lens??
From: "Hoyen Tsang" <htsang@medscape.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:31:26 -0800

>> Now, how does one choose between the
>> Summicron and the Summilux?  Is the 50
>> Summilux as good wide open as the 35
>> Summilux?  I have read that the Summicron
>> is the BEST 50mm lens PERIOD.  Is this true
>> or is the 50 Summilux just as good at f/2?
>> If they are equal from f/2 down to f/16,
>> the choice would be the Summilux just
>> because it has f/1.4, right?

Handheld, yes, they are essentially equal, and the Summilux beats the pants off the Summicron at f/1.4 of course.

> Go look at what Erwin has written.

Forget what Erwin has written.  Unless you're shooting off a tripod with K25, his results will not apply to you.  I've heard that the Summicron is supposed to be sharper til about f/4.  In actual use (i.e. handheld, marginal light conditions), the speed of the Summilux will make it the sharper lens.  From this experience, I'd rather be shooting at 1/15 f/1.4 than 1/8 f/2.  Contrast leaves nothing to be desired.  Heck, I'd go all the way to the Noctilux were it not for the size (and cost).  Personally, I'm waiting for the Voigtlander (ok, Cosina) 1:1.5/50mm Nokton.

Sent by Medscape Mail: Free Portable E-mail for Professionals on the Move
http://www.medscape.com