Subject: [Leica] LHSA 1999
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:42:44 -0400

To Inquiring Minds:

The Leica Historical Society of America Meeting was a great success and
I'm sure that our President, Bill Rosauer will or can comment further as
to specifics.  I want to briefly give my opinion on comments made by
Herr Cohn, CEO of Leica AG, Solms.  While I'm not privy to comments that
he made to the LHSA Board he did address the general membership.  My
first impression is that we are dealing with a sharp individual.  He
hinted or directly said the following:

1) Leica will refocus on its rich history and we should see more
advertising with the historical perspective.
2) A new internet web site is planned with greatly expanded information
including separate sections for users and collectors.
3) A new point and shoot will be coming shortly- the C1 with 38-105 Zoom
lens.
4) There will be no M7 but a "family" of M6s.
5) He wants to fashion Leica like DELL Computer in which it will be
possible to custom order cameras with individual touches i.e. red
leather etc.  This is probably years away.
5) The layoffs in Solms were necessary as the water level was rising and
by his own gesture was up to his eyes.
6) The R system will be retained but I don't sense any major new
developments.  The R8 motor is finally ready to ship and the 35-70mm
F2.8 zoom is also ready to ship.

Those that really took note perhaps can expand on the above points.

It was great making new friends and seeing many LUG/LEG members such as
Richard Wasserman, Bill and Mary Caldwell, Bill Grimwood, Vahan
Shahinian, John Karian, as well as Mark Rabiner and his wife Karen.

We were all devastated my Erwin's illness but thank God he seems to be
fine and will recover.

Leically yours,
Paul