Subject: 35,MF,LF was RE: [Leica] FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:17:26 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Jonathan Borden wrote:
> >
> > Against 'conventional wisdom' about the benefits of large
> format w.r.t image
> > sharpness is the article
> > http://www.photodo.com/templates/display.lasso?show=489
> > which, to sumarize, states that with tmax 100 film, 35mm,MF, and LF have
> > similar sharpness. I believe the issue is that top 35mm lenses
> are sharper
> > than equivalent large format lenses. On the other hand if Tri-X
> is used, LF
> > wins.

> To each his own but don't kid yourselves!
> Jonathan and Bill if you look at the top of the page is says Nikon.
> I assure you that the reason a huge segment of pro photogs and
> serious amateurs
> don't sell their medium format and larger sheet film format gear
> is that there
> is real reasons for using them. There is a visible quality
> difference between
> each format which compleatly justifies it's existence. Plenty of
> people here are
> happy with the V35 Leica enlargers in their darkroom to print all
> thier 35mm
> negs but just as many others KNOW what their twin lens Rolleiflex
> can give them
> and on from there to their Speed Graphic of whatever sheetfilm
> deal they might
> have.

Mark, you are stating the conventional wisdom. Assuming that the article is
taken at face value, the point being made is that the film itself is very
important. As I said, if you are using Tri-X or for that matter color print
film (perhaps) the advantages of a larger negative are to be expected. On
the other hand, as the resolution of the film goes up, problems are created
for larger format lenses which are now required to have high resolution
across a much larger area, we all know it is easy to optimize the center of
the field. If you pit a 20 year old MF lens against a Leica ASPH etc. using
Tmax or Delta 100 or TechPan and/or K25 or whatever new Fuji high resolution
film, don't expect the larger format to win.

My thinking is that it is *EASIER* to get high resolution with larger
formats, yet possible under proper conditions using 35mm. On the other hand,
it is easier to deal with 35mm so perhaps the two cancel out.

The reason I would like to do LF would be to make platinum contact prints
which appear qualitatively different than silver, and have toyed with the
idea of getting an 8x10 camera, how I would explain that to my wife I
haven't yet figured out. Until now I've been able to justify the purchase of
new lenses by explaining that it will enable me to take yet better pictures
of the kids, but an 8x10! how do you handle that one?

Jonathan Borden