Subject: Re: 35,MF,LF was RE: [Leica] FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:54:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/26/99 9:25:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jborden@mediaone.net writes:

<< On
 the other hand, as the resolution of the film goes up, problems are created
 for larger format lenses which are now required to have high resolution
 across a much larger area, we all know it is easy to optimize the center of
 the field. If you pit a 20 year old MF lens against a Leica ASPH etc. using
 Tmax or Delta 100 or TechPan and/or K25 or whatever new Fuji high resolution
 film, don't expect the larger format to win. >>

It seems like the math doesn't agree here.  Taking a 35mm neg and enlarging
it to 6x7 cm (roughly 5x),  would it not produce an image equivalent to that
of an original 6x7cm neg shot with a MF lens with 1/5 the resolving power?
Checking the MTF results of various MF lenses on Photodo one finds nowhere
near that kind of discrepancy.  Glad to hear from any experts in the field of
optics who can authoritatively correct my thinking if it's incorrect.

DT