Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw this ('n'that)
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:52:19 +1000

Henning J. Wulff wrote:

> As other people have mentioned; you don't regret the Leicas you buy, only
> the Leicas you sell. I had a IIIg and Ig, with a fine assortment of lenses
> and accessories. I had trouble in 1972 getting them serviced and sold the
> lot. I wish the LUG had been available then.
>
> Now I have to suffer with M's and an even better assortment of lenses. Woe
> is me (but I still  regret selling the IIIg and collapsible Summicron).

Henning,

In one of my posts (about 2 or 3 month ago) ,  I told how I sold all my screw
mount equipment. That was 3C's, 3F and 2F, a III and a model 3G.  I have to
say, I never regretted it.
The screw mount cameras, in my opinion are really a one lens camera. Once I
bought my first M with the superb bayonet mount, the ease of changing lenses,
the exceptional feel and robustness, I hardly used my  screw mounts anymore.
And, if they are not used, the shutters start drying up and it gets to be
quite an expense, to pay about every 2 years rouhly  100 bucks each  for an
oil change

I also can hold the M cameras much steadier than the screw mounts. The M with
its slightly bigger size, just fits better into my hand. A soft release adds
to this.
.

Admittedly, The screw mounts are lovely looking cameras, but better some
collector buy's them and admires them, than having them standing in some
cupboard and collecting dust

However I did not sell my favorite screw mount lenses. Especially the ones
which have no bayonet equivalent. I still have in screw mount: A coated and an
uncoated 50mm F2 Summar , a 50mm F2 Summitar and even  so I have a Bayonet
Elmar, The 50mm f3.5 Screw Elmar. In addition to this I kept all the other non
Leica Screw mount lenses. (Cannon, Voigtlander etc.). After all, there are
adapters and every  Leica lens has its own quality.

I also received a reasonable sum of money from selling the camera bodies, with
some lenses
and the accessories (Visioflex 1, Bellows , lens hoods, filters etc.), and
managed to by a Noctilux from it.  I sometimes think back to the times when I
owed thouse cameras and  used them, but I don't regret selling them.

 I agree with your above statement, when it comes to the M models and would be
sad to ever have to sell any of my M cameras.

Regards Horst Schmidt