Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapsible 50 summicron
From: "S London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:59:51 -0500

I had one of the lenses and loved it.  It allows you to make the most of
your M's compact size and pocketability.  The lens has a wonderfully smooth
tonal rendition with B&W films, and has a very neat "antique" color
rendition when used with color film.  Some sharpness is lost near maximum
apertures (as expected).

If I had not wanted a faster 50mm lens and had owned a more pristine example
of the collapsible 50, I would still own it.

In terms of comparison to the 50mm elmar, the summicron gives you the
benefit of one extra stop (f/2.8 vs. f/2, respectively) just in case you
need it.  Although it has not been my priviledge to use it, the elmar sounds
like a fine lens as well.