Subject: [Leica] 50 Summicron-R vs. 35-70 ASPH
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:54:52 -0700

For those of you debating the merits of the 50 Summicron-R, here is a fact.

Using E100VS I shot the identical scene with the 50 Summicron-R and the 35-70 f/4 zoom set at 50mm.  I have only analyzed the f/4 comparisons (the rest is to follow)

1.  At f/4 there is clearly a difference in bokeh.  The Summicron is more out of focus when it is out of focus.

2.  Using a loupe on a light table you cannot tell the difference between the f/4 slides, unless you examine the bokeh areas.  The color rendition is identical.

3.  Scanning the slides and examining the smallest center areas shows that the Summicron is the clear winner.  No contest.

I really doubt that on print film you would see much difference.

Bbo Rose