Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and a new M? Now what's wrong with R8?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:02:05 -0700

I own Nikon SLR kit. I've used Nikon SLRs since 1968 and never been
dissatisfied with them. But I don't like AF SLRs: the jerky, hunt and
focus appearance in the viewfinder makes me disoriented, and even when I
tried a multi-AF-spot F5 and F100 bodies, I found it difficult to keep
what I wanted in the AF target site. So I keep my lovely old tech Nikon
F3/T and enjoy it, it continues to take excellent pictures even though I
use it relatively infrequently now. I mostly use it for longish lenses
and the motor. So as long as the F3 stays around and my nice set of
lenses are intact, there's little to think about changing lenses about.
But I doubt I'll ever really want an F100 or and F5.

Every so often I think of moving to a Contax RTS III or Leica R kit. I
spent some time handling/fooling with the R6.2 and R8. I like both of
them a lot. The R8 is supremely ergonomic in my hands: every control is
like it was made for me. If I ever go with a Leica R, it will likely be
the R8.

But there's precious little to make me want to move from Nikon. And not
even the R8 has interchangeable viewfinder system like the F3 does, and I
like my waist level and 6x magnifying finders.

Godfrey